Saturday, March 17, 2007

Students Are in the Worst Situation

CCP Students are not involved in matters of labor relations and, from my discussions with them, feel powerless to affect the outcome of this unfortunate strike action. It is with them in mind that I began this blog; however, they are not the only ones frustrated and upset. Consider me as a typical teacher and how I am split three ways:

1 - As a teacher and mentor: I am deeply concerned about the students being able to reach their academic goals. I worry over their access to information that can help them to make good decisions. Although, for all the frustration and heartache of the strike, I do believe that we will all soon finish out the semester and they will move on to continue their education.

2 - As a teacher and a colleague: I will not be moving on like the students, but have made a long-term commitment to the Mission of this great College and must adhere to a standard of integrity that keeps this Community strong. In addition, I must take care of my family and help to ensure that all workers at CCP and their families have a decent future. I stand 100% firmly and forever alongside my collegues in all three Unions. I know that our cause is just.

3 - As a colleague and member of the Commnity: I have many friends in the Administration. I have joined them in living the Mission of the College and believe that they will respect me, if not my methods, for the courage I show in fighting to uphold that ideal.

It might help all members of the College Community to reflect on what others might be going through.

Here are some voices I have heard this past week:

Students' Challenges:
• Education interrupted
• End of semester plans (graduation, summer school)on hold
• Insecurity of not knowing what will happen
• Feeling unfairly caught in the middle

Staff Challenges:
• No paycheck while on strike
• Insecurity of losing comprehensive health coverage
• Fear of risking everything including termination

Teacher Challenges:
• No paycheck while on strike
• Worry over students reaching their educational goals
• Insecurity of losing comprehensive health coverage
• Fear of risking everything including termination

Administrator Challenges
• Inability to perform job without teachers and staff
• Insecurity over the future of the College
• Sympathy for colleagues in ranks of Teachers and Staff
• Concern over reputation of the College

This is a complex situation and many lives are affected. Let's try to stay focused on the big picture and acknowledge that it is difficult for everyone involved.